With only a week to go before The Platinum Jubilee celebrations commence, LLW brings you the ultimate guide to the official events taking place over the bank holiday weekend.
Thursday, June 2nd
- Trooping the Colour – Trooping the Colour is the first event kickstarting celebrations. It involves over 1400 parading soldiers, 200 horses and 400 musicians. Who come together in a great display of military precision, horsemanship and fanfare to mark The Queen’s official birthday. The Queen will make an appearance on the balcony at Buckingham Palace to watch the flypast.
- Battersea Power Station – The arrival of the Birmingham 2022 Queen’s Baton Relay arriving at Battersea. This marks the first Central London destination to receive the Baton after its trip across the Commonwealth. Later in the evening, you will be able to see the lighting of the Battersea Power Station Jubilee Beacon at 9:45pm.
- Lighting of the ‘Tree of Trees’ – The Jubilee Tree of Trees created by created by British designer Thomas Heatherwick. The enormous 70ft tree sculpture will serve as the principal beacon lighting at Buckingham Palace during the Jubilee celebrations. Another 2,800 beacons will be lit across the world for the Queen.
Friday, June 3rd
- Service of Thanksgiving at St. Paul’s Cathedral – St Paul’s will hold a historic Service of Thanksgiving for The Queen’s reign at 11am. Members of the Royal family will attend and it will be broadcast from 9:15am on BBC one.
- Mary Gillick exhibition at the British Museum – This exhibition will highlight the life and work of Mary Gillick. Mary Gillick was a sculptor famous for the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II used on coins from 1953 until 1971.
- A Very Royal Opera House – Walk the red carpets and trace her majesty’s steps throughout the Royal Opera house as you learn of the Royal Opera House and the Royal Ballet’s links to the Royal Family throughout history.
Saturday June 4th
- Platinum Party at the Palace – A glittering line up of performers are performing at Buckingham Palace. Join the likes of Queen, Alicia Keys and Andrea Bocelli on Saturday night in celebrations. The Platinum Party at the Palace will broadcast across The BBC.
- Royal Festival Hall: The Platinum Jubilee Celebration – The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the Royal Choral Society and the Bach Choir celebrate Her Majesty’s 70 year reign! Accompanied by distinguished soloists guaranteed to give you a magical performance.
- Jubilee Arts Festival: Family Day at Sotheby’s – Between 12:00 – 5:00 pm Sotheby’s invites families to their festival commemorating the Jubilee. There will be plenty of activities to keep your children entertained including musical workshops and art trails.
- At 2:00 pm Michael Morpugo will read his new book, There Once Is A Queen. Telling the story of Queen Elizabeth II’s life.
- From 12:00 pm till 4:00 pm, a Charlie Mackesy Drawing Station will be available. Children will have the opportunity to express their creativity with colouring sheets created by Mackesy. Sotheby’s is simultaneously presenting “We are all a Work in Progress“, a selling exhibition of illustrations from the book The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy.
- Power & Image: Royal & Aristocratic Tiaras at Sotheby’s – Until the 15th of June, this exhibition will showcase over 40 tiaras from European royalty. The Spencer Tiara famously worn by Princess Diana on her wedding day will be available for viewing alongside rare and historic fine jewellery. This magical exhibition is not one to miss!
- Jermyn Street Jubilee Fete – On Saturday the 4th of June, Jermyn Street will be closed off for a special street party. The historic street will come alive with pop up stalls from quintessentially British brands including: Nyetimber, The Ritz London and Fortnum and Mason.
Sunday June 5th
- Platinum Jubilee Pageant– The Jubilee Pageant will be an absolute spectacle. Led by the Royal Gold State Carriage, street arts, theatre, music, circus, carnival and costume will combine to tell the story of The Queen’s 70-year reign and our transforming society. Ed Sheeran will end the event by singing the national anthem in front of Buckingham Palace.
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebration: Drag Queen Bingo! Join in with the singing, dancing and fun for a family-friendly, royal Drag Queen Bingo.
- Jubilee Street Party at Ham Yard Hotel – To mark the momentous occasion of the Jubilee, Ham Yard Hotel are hosting a street party! In a gorgeous backdrop of trees and sculptures for the celebrations enjoy food and drink from a variety of stalls!
I will be helping with our own street party, and I can’t wait for the whole weekend. We will never see this again in our lifetime, so get out and enjoy it, no matter how exhausting. Think of Her Majesty at 96 as you raise your glass to her good health, and her incredible service to our country.
Little London Whispers | Super Seven