Eating outside in 2020 | London
Posted on October 24th, 2020
Tier 2 means new rules, and none we are happy about. As everyone is desperate to keep seeing their friends, I have added to my eating list a selection of places that have outside dining in London.
These venues have lovely terraces, heaters and good food. Hotels definitely seem to have a niche on this, as they have more space. However, there are some new restaurants of note, and of course some old favourites.
Six London hotels with outside seating
- The Garden at The Berkeley : In July the hotel opened an entirely new al fresco restaurant., it was genuinely my favourite place to eat this year. The space is absolutely gorgeous, adorned with lanterns, candles, olive trees and lavender, and with leafy views overlooking St Pauls Church. Head for their latest pop up Berkeley Hot Dog Bar
- The Dalloway Terrace : The Bloomsbury Hotel’s famous terrace features a magical atmosphere and elegant design, created to reflect Bloomsbury’s 20th century literary and artistic history. This intimate secret garden is fully heated throughout the colder months.
- Double Standard : This fabulous restaurant and terrace at the Standard Hotel is famous for its classic cocktails (including slushy Aperol Spritzes), DJs and bottomless brunch. On Mondays and Tuesdays they are still offering the Eat Out to Help Out scheme. When booking, be sure to specify whether you want to eat outside or in.
- Chiltern Firehouse : For a lavish breakfast, decadent cocktails and everything in between, the terrace at Chiltern Firehouse remains one of my favourite spots in London. The outdoor space is gorgeous and feels so intimate, even with social distancing.
- Rosewood : This winter they have launched an exciting new terrace The Macallan Manor House. In partnership with whisky brand The Macallan, the space takes inspiration from the Scottish Highlands.
- Ham Yard : They have extended their Winter Terrace Nights pop-up until the end of this year. Take in the views of Soho with exquisite cocktails and bars snacks on the iconic roof terrace, before enjoying a sumptuous dinner in the heated courtyard.
Six London restaurants with outside seating
- Seabird : Discover this beauty at the top of the Hoxton hotel in Southwark. Dine out on a beautiful terrace with fabulous views of London eating the delicious fish.
- Kings Cross / Coaldrops Yard : You have a fabulous choice here for outside dining; Caravan, Brindisi, Hicce, Dishoom, Lina Stores to name just a few.
- Joy at Portobello : This pop-up appeared after lockdown serving up the finest English food. With the new restrictions they now have individual tents for tables of six, or take yourself inside for smaller tables. Don’t miss out on their new delivery service and be sure to try their seasonal sweet pies.
- The River Café : As if you needed another reason to visit. From the bounty of heaters to the wealth of hearty Italian fare. There is plenty to keep you warm at this ultimate outdoor dining spot on the riverside.
- Fallow: Opened in Heddon Street earlier this year. Their focus is on sustainability, and around half of their menu being plant-based. The terrace has heaters aplenty, and guests can purchase their bottled Negroni to take home with them to continue the party, even after 10pm.
- Alto : This stunning garden on the roof of Selfridges is the perfect place to escape the city below. It’s a spectacular hideaway with an all-day menu of seasonal Italian dishes.
- Create Victoria : A great space away from traffic to eat outside. Franca Manca, Rail Cafe, Timmy Green and Hai Cento to name just a few.
A kind reminder : If you are in your own bubble, remember that by eating inside you are freeing up that table outside, for friends from other households to meet up.